Sunday 13 May 2012

From One Potential Failure To Another - A Guide To Sixth Form

When I got my GCSE results on that fateful August morning, I swore to myself I would never do anything as special, pure, and true. Though they were by no means worthy of the Kings School newsletter (pffft), I was pleased my hours of undivided attention to my anthology and mulling over how that Hitler bloke had a "moment" in German politics had not been in vain. It was a poignant time in my life and a pleasant reminder that hard work pays off. Rewards were given, genuine surprise was rather tactlessly expressed, calories were added.

That was nearly a year ago now. Since then, I've moved away from home, started A-Levels and become practically a veteran drinker - well, definitely 2/3 of those. Admittedly, it's been a challenge; but one l look back on fondly. I have now dealt first hand with the challenges that do inevitably come with going from secondary school to "further education" (you like the sound of it, don't you?), and definitely feel a bit wiser because of it. You are never formally taught how to deal with all new expectations, and you can feel weighed down with pressure that you apparently will just instinctively "adapt" to. Surprisingly enough - you can, and you do.

It is undeniably a huge transition you face, going from Year 11 to Year 12. I remember recieving countless talks on what to expect, and a foreboding sense of dread sinking into the pit of my stomach; apparently, I could expect to kiss goodbye my social life and dedicate my every waking moment to studying. "Would a job really be that bad...?" I would wonder wistfully to myself.

Yet, the reality is only as bad as you make it. So from one teenager to another, I can offer some earnest words of advice that can help you find your feet when you find yourself teetering.

It brings me great resentment to say the smug looking elders in all those talks weren't lying; A-Levels really are a big jump from GCSEs. With all my teenage angst, I remember scowling at any sixth former shoving their woes and "oh my life's so hard!"s in my face, and I was quietly assured in the knowledge that actually, you whining mong, I'll be able to cope, don't try and convince me otherwise! But now...they m--m-might be right, so I'll try to explain in a less condescending manner. Think of me of Janice, and you are Cadie - without you going all "Regina" on me.

So your workload increases, you have more lessons per week on one subject, and it's suddenly an unwritten law for you to voluntarily (?!) study, without being set any work, because that's just what you do now you're in sixth form. The word "independance" is thrown around the room like a pesky wasp in your first lessons for each subject, and it doesn't sound overly encouraging. How the hell do you cope with all these new expectations piled on your shoulders - "responsibilities"?! I thought they were for adults?

Though you cannot implore teachers to just PLEASE, please just be a really great guy and not give you any more homework, you can make it more bearable for yourself. Using my study periods wisely certainly helped me when I was minutes away from a homicidal rampage fused by stress; back in September, I siezed every free period as a chance to grab a hot chocolate, take a leisurely stroll into town or occasionally dawdle aimlessly through college, generally feeling quite grown up and sophisticated. This is fine, until you realise you have all types of scrawls all over your work diary with yet another task to have completed for the next morning. Cue groans and crates of Red Bull...

It's essential that you use your time productively, and look at the greater scheme of things; maybe you'll spend your next few free periods cooped up in the library, but you have the evening to do what you like - free of that subconcious, niggling voice reminding you of all those essays that are screaming to be written.

Picking A-Levels you like is also important; further education isn't compulsory, so you may aswell enjoy it. If you cannot stand German and never enjoyed it at GCSE, then you can say Auf Wiedersehn to the subject the minute you walk out of  the exam hall! That said, picking subjects you're good at will put you at an advantage for A-Level - you got an A* in German? Even though you hate the subject?

That's life, and you've gotta just roll with the punches, grumpy bear.

Your choices for A-Levels are not quite as restricted as they were at GCSEs, so that's another opportunity you should try your best to sieze. Obviously don't do P.E if you can't run for ten minutes without collapsing on the ground gasping for air. If you can't write an essay in a logical, coherent fashion, don't take History or English. I took two subjects I wasn't really familiar with, but I ended up genuinely enjoying both of them.
Dip your toes into a different subject, but know what you've let yourself in for - you could be in for a pleasant surprise, or a nasty shock.

Try and maintain your perspective when it feels like the mountain of work in your desk just won't shrink - you've chosen to be here, and as long as you prioritise, it WILL get done, and you WILL deserve a McDonalds at the very least when it's finished. The formal term for this is "deferred gratification". Though you might not be able to go out tonight, when results day rolls round you won't believe that flood of relief and pride, and you may even get a Pizza Hut out of it - like I did. It was a good day to be Floraidh.

Finally...well, just because I take a "it's in the past, this is the present" mindset because I'm an 'orrible, twisted troll, doesn't mean you necessarily will. The end of Year 11 marks an unsettling period of separation from everything you've ever known; friends move away or go to different colleges, and admittedly at the time I did find it disheartening. Yet you'll know where you stand with your friends, and with your "friends" - if the Ant to your Dec/the Salt to your Peppa/the Tim Burton to your Johnny Depp has moved away, you'll stay in touch. It's the inexplicable truth.

That's the beauty of true friendship; it's like the smell of month old Pickled Onion Monster Munch in your underwear drawer - infinite.

This concludes my words of advice concerning how to stay sharp when sixth form finally rolls round, and I bid you good luck, young warriors! This is from the girl who went through a phase of regularly getting kicked out of the library for eating in a bid to stay awake with deadlines looming, and we both know there's no rehab for that sort of thing. Like I said, I never thought I'd do anything as special, pure, and true as my GCSEs. But now I like to think I'm definitely a bit more clued up and cooler about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment